Funding for Employers
The Apprenticeship Grant for Employers of 16- to 24- year-olds supports businesses that would not otherwise be in a position to do so, to recruit individuals aged 16 to 24 into employment through the apprenticeship programme.
Which employers are eligible?
To be eligible you must:
- confirm that you are not able to recruit an apprentice without the Grant
- have fewer than 50 employees in the United Kingdom, as recorded by the Employer Data Service (EDS)
- not have had an employee start an apprenticeship in the 12- month period before the start date of the first apprentice for whom you apply for the Grant*
- if you are eligible, you can claim up to 5 Grants during the time the Grant is available
- please note you do not have to wait 12 months between the first and any subsequent applications
- only one Grant will be paid per employer for any particular individual
- commit to employ your apprentice(s) for a minimum of 12 months on the apprenticeship programme or the time it takes them to complete their apprenticeship, whichever is the greater
- confirm you are aware of and do not breach any State Aid rules by receiving the Grant
- agree to pay the apprentice in line with legal minimum requirements or more
Which apprentices qualify?
Our aim is to support employers to create new jobs and recruit new 16- to 24-year-olds. Eligible employers who want to access the Grant should note that apprentices must be:
- new recruits
- aged 16 to 24, on the start date
Funding for the Individual
An employer pays for the salary of the apprentice. Skills Funding Agency funds for the training provision.
Apprentices aged 16-18 years
The full cost of the delivery of the Apprenticeship are met by the Skills Funding Agency for apprentices aged 16-18 years and the employer should not be asked to make any contribution.
Apprentices aged 19+
For an apprentice aged 19 – 23, the employer may be asked to make a financial contribution. If a contribution is required, this will be determined by Activfirst.
From time to time, funding pots will become available for individual courses. Please check our blog and twitter feeds regularly to make sure you don’t miss out on these offers.
From the Blog
10 October 2017
“If there were a drug that could do for human health everything that exercise can, it would likely be the […]
16 October 2017
Invisible Disabilities Week 2017 “But you look fine…” I am an invisible illness warrior and a “functional” member of society…If […]
04 October 2017
As part of our CPD targets all staff here at Activfirst have recently completed a Level 2 Cetificate in Customer Service […]