Top Tips to Fight Stress - Activfirst
It’s #InternationalStressAwarenessDay don’t cha know…
Let’s face it…modern day life is stressful; In a world in which we all have a never ending to do list, it’s a wonder we aren’t collectively jumping up and down and pulling our hair out. As the price of living increases, we are expected to work harder for less…whilst looking after the kids and keeping friends/family happy…and that’s not even covering those niggling every day stressors (*cough* bad drivers *cough* slow walkers.)
However, every cloud has a silver lining and the team at Activfirst (being the helpful souls that we are) have pooled our collective resources and come to the rescue with our top tips for #StressBusting! So, if you’re having a bad day, week or month, sit back relax and let us help.
- It all starts with the breath…Many our staff have said that they benefit from practising deep breathing techniques. A good guideline is concentrating on 3 in-breaths and 6 out-breaths. This will focus the mind on something aside from what is causing stress, whilst calming down the nervous system; and best of all breathing is completely free!
- Another popular suggestion was taking time out to have a distraction free bath. Turn off your mobile devices, hit the lights, light a candle and get soaking.
- Exercise was another highly recommended stress buster. Group exercise classes, running, swimming – even if it is just taking time out to go for a simple stroll surrounded by nature; it all counts (although keeping a punch bag in the garage also help.)
- Spending time with friends and family was a great suggestion. There is nothing better than being around well-meaning and supportive people that want to put a smile on your face when you’re feeling blue! Great company during troubled times is worth its’ weight in gold.
- Meditation is another powerful tip! This is a great way of calming the mind and reducing stress – and there is plenty of science to back it up (for more check out this article from Psychology Today.) You can get apps to help and there are plenty of guided meditations on YouTube.
- EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) aka tapping to relieve stress. (Follow the link for more expert advice on the subject http://bit.ly/2y5qjdm)
- Relaxing background music or white noise can really help direct your mind to a clearer mental space. There are plenty of freebies on YouTube, and once you find your go to relaxation tunes, why not make a playlist?
We really hope we have managed to conjure up some helpful stress busting techniques. It is so important to take time out of your daily life to top up your Zen Levels with some relaxation. You may even find that you are a lot more productive afterwards.
Happy Chilling Folks! ?
For further reading why not check out our previous blog about the benefit of Exercise on your mental health!